Voice Recognition
Search Button
NW District Title

Medication Information

Medication and Medical Treatment Information

Administration of Medication

Northwest Local School District Policy for Administration of Medication is consistent with the Ohio Revised Code 3313.713 (The Medication Policy Law).

Whenever possible the administration of medication required by a student during the school day should be given before or after school hours. However, certain students may require the administration of medication during the school day to maintain an optimum health status for learning. In the event that a student requires the administration of medication, prescription and/or over-the-counter, during the school day the following procedure must be followed:

  1. Prescription and /or over-the-counter (including but not limited to throat lozenges, Tylenol, Neosporin, etc.) given during the school day, REQUIRE an Administration of Medication Form, physician order and parental permission must be completed in its entirety and signed by the prescribing physician and the parent/guardian.
  2. Medication is to be brought to the school building by the parent/guardian in the original container.
  3. A parent, guardian or adult designated by the parent is responsible to personally bring any medication to the school building. Never send medication with a student.
  4. All medication is kept in a locked storage unit in each school building.
  5. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to instruct the student to come to the Health Room at the appropriate time for medication administration.
  6. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to obtain an updated physician order when the medication changes in any way.
  7. Any unused medication not claimed on the last day of school will be destroyed.
  8. A new medication order must be submitted each school year.

Administration of Prescribed Medical Treatment
The student may require a prescribed medical treatment (non-medication) during the school day such as tube feeding, dressing change or catheterization. The prescribing provider and the parent must complete the Administration of Prescribed Medical Treatment form before school personnel may initiate the medical treatment. This form may also be obtained in the Health Office.